Monday, January 3, 2011

An Insert from My Family Blog

Happy New Year!!
I thought I would share this with those of you who used to read this blog... I say used to b/c I haven't blogged in such a long time and I certainly haven't been good at keeping you up to date on things. I posted this on my family blog and thought you might like to read it. Maybe this will get me back into the swing of blogging again!!
It is 2011.... As a young girl I always thought about the future and what Gods plan was for my life. I remember thinking about 2011 particularly and thinking about how far away it seemed at that time. I often wondered if I would be married or have children as well.   Did you ever do that as a child?? Think about the future....that is? Well it is 2011 and time has flown by since I was that little girl. Alot has changed since then and I am so thankful for all the many blessings the Lord has blessed me with.
I am not one to make new years resolutions because most of the time they don't last (actually all the time they never last.) I can only think of two people in my entire life who actually stuck with a resolution for one year. That is pretty committed, huh??

The only time I ever made a resolution was when I was in 8th or 9th grade. I (along with some other friends of the family) committed to not eating candy or drinking soda for one year. I can honestly say I MADE IT!!! See I am not a big candy eater, I just love cookies, ice cream, and pies, and I only drank water so it wasn't that hard for me. I know you are probably wondering why I did it then, right?
Well if we could make for the one year then our parents would give us $100 at the end of the year.
Not a bad deal for an 8th grader, huh!?!?
Good ole' memories!!

Well I say all that to say that this past December I decided it was time to try something new. I thought January would be a great time to start but I didn't really make a resolution. I just sat down and talked with my husband one night and told him I wanted to try some things this year. If it works great and if not then I can say I tried.
The idea I had was to have a garden and to make most of our food from scratch.... I'm crazy, I know!

I have wanted to make more of the food we eat from scratch for a long time now but haven't really taken the initiative to do it. I have also wanted to have a garden but we have never really had the time or place to have one.
So what I am going to try to do is prepare healthier food with the least amount of preservatives/pesticides as possible....Which means more things will be made from scratch and most of the food will be organic.
Don't get me wrong, I am still going to make all the things we really like to eat but it will just take more planning and prepping in the kitchen then normal.
I have talked with a couple who lives here in RH who have a 1 acre garden and also my husband's grandparents who had a garden for many years in there back yard and grew up on farms in west Florida. Unfortunately I was told that where we live we have to many wild animals and they will eat the garden up.... SO my bubble got burst there. Unless I buy an electric fence to keep the critters out I will be waisting my money on seed. And I am NOT buying an electric fence right now! So I guess now that I have the space and time(haha) the little critters have put a stop to the garden I wanted to have.  I still think I am going to try some stuff on our screened-in porch where I can move them around in pots to get sun and keep them safe from the animals in our woods. We will see how that goes.

I am not going to be able to blog about what I make all the time or whats growing (or not growing) in our yard but I can get you started on something I made today...

I attempted bread. For some of you making homemade bread is second nature but to me it's not. I always found it easier to pick up a fresh loaf from the Publix bakery. I always thought that working with yeast was harder then it should be but then for Thanksgiving my mom and Omi (my German Grandma) showed my sister and I how to make easy homemade yeast rolls and how to make spaetzle (A homemade noodle.) I realized then that it isn't that hard and if all else fails you can make another batch! 
 For the price I can make 4 loaves of homemade bread I can buy one loaf at the grocery store. Interesting, right?

Well my bread only took 2 1/2 hours to make including the rising twice and the baking. I am looking forward to making a vast variety of homemade foods in my kitchen this year. You should give it a try and if you have questions give me a shout!!
So if I can make my bread look like this the first time, then you should at least give it a try!!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

QuickBooks xpert said...

Nice Blog !
Our team at QuickBooks Support Phone Number work with you to help you get immediate relief from annoying issues in this mental health crisis.

QuickBooks Support Number said...

Nice Blog !
Our experts at QuickBooks Support Phone Number put our best foot forward to land you out of annoying errors of QuickBooks in this extremely difficult and sad situation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails